[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Why Germans in Poland

Rachael Patterson patterson.rachael at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 13:00:45 PDT 2007

Why Germans in Poland...is such an interesting topic to me also, since I
have roots from Wurmberg, Württemberg, Germany into my GGGGrandparents
migration into the Schroettersdorf area of Poland.

According to a very interesting document that fell into my hands (written in
the German language), called Mecklenburger nach Polen, regarding my
GGGGrandfather Kacpar Ramin's migration to the Schroettersdorf = Maszewo,
Plock, Warszawa, Poland area in 1799... (which was so kindly given to me by
Paul Works in pdf format)...I see that this part of my family lineage
must've had their own land, and rented to other fellow Germans, as there is
stated on this document another migrator who was renting from my
GGGGrandfather . My 3GGrandfather Kacpar Ramin was born in an area close the
Wurmberg called Lywersdorff , Brandenburg, Prussia.

There are other names of interest that seem to relate to my family lineages,
to which I need to study further in my research of this fascinating area of
the migration of Germans into the Polish area to set up these colonies.

I have traced my family "Ast" lineage to the mid 1700s, to my
5GGrandfather where my ancestors were actually born in the Wurmberg,
Württemberg, Germany area and eventually my 3GGrandfather ended up migrating
to the Plock area to settle in the early 1800s where eventually my
Grandmother was born in 1894....eventually immigrating to Canada in 1927.

Family lore has it that my family owned land (also confirmed on the B Rec's
of herself & her parents), and that they had groves of Peach trees and a
gardener. There was a real hooplah regarding my GGrandmother's death, in
that my GGrandfather ended up marrying the gardener's wife (who was also
widowed at the time)...this in the early 1900's.

My grandmother eventually immigrated to Canada in 1927, along with my mother
(who was three at the time), left all the pogrom wars behind, and settled to
the rest of her days in Falun, AB, CANADA. However, their initially
intention was to immigrate to the USA, but there was a quota at the time,
and they were denied. My grandmother's siblings had mostly immigrated to the
USA a number of years prior to her (she is the baby in her family), and I
have since located cousins of mine in the US. So exciting.

My point being that the migration of Germans took place (for my lineages) in
the late 1700's to early 1800's from the area of Wurmberg, Württemberg,
Germany, and that they had enough resources to own land & to rent to fellow
migrators....to eventually take care of groves of Peach trees & to hire
gardeners to assist them.

Just sharing in the flow of this conversation, which I also find very
interesting....:)

Gilda Patterson
Calgary, Alberta, CANADA