[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] More on Germans in Poland

PnSWork at aol.com PnSWork at aol.com
Thu Apr 19 21:57:19 PDT 2007

Yes, there is quite a bit of material out there in German on this  subject.
I have several books that cover the topic and several  self-published extracts
as well (published by other people, not me).   Several date back to the 1940s
and the motivations of the authors may be a  little suspect.  However, there
is agreement in general on the  basics.

Yes, there was a small movement of Germanic people into the area we know as
Poland today from early on.  However, this movement was centered around the
Vistula River or close to the borders with the German principalities and rarely
 strayed far from it.  There was also some immigration in the middle 1800's
as some new village were founded, but the majority of the immigrants came in
two  waves.  These waves coincided with the First and Third Partitions of
Poland  and were strongly encouraged by the Prussian government.  In fact, it is
highly likely that the Prussian government's sponsorship of these migrations is
 what caused them to grow so large.

The first migration began shortly after the First Partition of  Poland.  In
this action, Prussia, Russia, and Austria carved out large  sections of Poland.
 They didn't get all of it in this first partition, and  the Russians (under
Catherine the Great) had already been recruiting  Germans for several years to
settle the areas near the Volga River.   However, that is a different story,
so we'll leave that for another time.

The Prussian government set up an ambitious emigration program and  sent
recruiters out to all areas of Germany, seeking settlers to come and  populate the
land they had just acquired.  In addition, many ethnic  Polish people were
displaced when they protested the annexation by  Prussia.  The Prussian
recruiters were very persuasive, and the Prussian  government assisted prospective
travelers with relocation expenses, a per diem  for food and expenses, free land
and building materials once they arrived, and  free livestock.

At the same time, many people in Wuerttemberg were feeling oppressed by  high
taxes and poor economic conditions, so they were open to the idea of
emigrating to a new area.  During the short time period of 1775 to 1782, it  is
estimated that over 100,000 people emigrated to the Posen and West Prussia  areas.
New villages were founded all over the place and the Prussians kept  very
good records of all of them.  The archives in Berlin still hold the  original
documents showing who arrived from where, how much travel and  relocation money
they were paid, and where they were settled.  Several of  my ancestors took
part in this first migration.  In some cases, the amount  of travel money paid to
settlers was in excess of their annual income.   That's how attractive it was.

The second major migration took place after the Third Partition of  Poland.
The Second Partition covered a relatively small area compared to  the first
and third, and no official recruitment program was in place for that  one.
After the Third Partition, Prussia again embarked on an ambitious  recruiting
campaign.  Again, they offered generous stipends for settlers,  free land,
building materials, and livestock.  Again settlers came  primarily from Wuerttemberg,
but a sizable number also came from  Mecklenburg.  More settlers streamed
into the newly acquired areas which  were later to be known as Central Poland.
Again, the Prussians kept  excellent documents for all the settlers, and I have
copies of some of these  papers showing how much land my ancestors were
given, how much they were paid  for the journey, how large the families were, and
so forth.  Virtually  every village in Wuerttemberg lost people to this
settlement, and one in  particular lost 10% of its population in one year.  The
church records for  these villages are filled with references like "moved to
Poland."

Again, the number of ethnic Germans who immigrated was quite large.   This
migration began in earnest in 1798 and reached its peak in 1802-1803.
Napoleon's victories over Prussia in 1806 brought it to a screeching halt.   Even
though the Polish government installed by Napoleon tried to encourage  further
settlement, their incentives fell far short of the assistance the  Prussians had
offered, and the numbers dropped dramatically.  A few  additional villages
were founded during the middle 1800s, but nothing like the  hundreds of villages
founded between 1798 and 1803.

In my opinion, it was the aggressive recruiting and generous incentives  that
the Prussian government offered that caused such large numbers to immigrate
to the area we know today as Poland.  Without those two factors, it is
doubtful that one tenth of the number would have made the transition.  It  was a
friendly Germanic government offering generous incentives that convinced  people
to move.

Take care,

    -Paul

References available upon request. :-)