[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] "dörfer" and "höfen"

Joe Pessarra joepessarra at suddenlink.net
Fri Apr 20 13:11:53 PDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eduardo" <chiquinhok at terra.com.br>
To: "ger-poland-volhynia" <ger-poland-volhynia at eclipse.sggee.org>
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2007 1:19 PM
Subject: Re: [Ger-Poland-Volhynia] "dörfer" and "höfen"

> Hello everyone,
> I'd like to know if exists a WWW where I can find the little
places/villages (names and history) in Germany.
> The origin of my family is a place called Gribenhof (not necessary this
spelling). As you know there is a lot of places names ending with "dorf" or
"hof". For me is being very difficult to find this little places,
particulary Gribenhof.
> By the way, I got confused about the origin places/regions in Germany of
the "Volhynien-germans" and the "Volga-germans". Has anyone this knowledge?
> Thank you
> Eduardo Kommers

Where did you get the town's spelling?  Word of mouth, or on a document?
Could the town be Grubenhof, Grabenhof or Gruebendorf?

Grubenhof
GKZ    : 07 3 35 009
County :  | |  +---- Kaiserslautern {KL}
RegBez :  | +------- Rheinhessen-Pfalz
Land   :  +--------- Rheinland-Pfalz
ZIP    : 67737
Locat  : (Kaiserslautern) 49d27m N 7d46m E

You can see the exact locations in Germany by using ShtetlSeeker at
http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/LocTown.asp

Choose Germany in the Pull-down list for country.

Other possibilities are Graebendorf.  There are two of these.

Prefix: GrAebendorf

Gräbendorf
Part of: Reddern
GKZ    : 12 0 18 500
County :  |    +---- Calau {CA}
Land   :  +--------- Brandenburg
ZIP    : 03229
Locat  : (Calau) 51d43m N 13d56m E

Gräbendorf (b Königs Wusterhausen)
GKZ    : 12 0 29 160
County :  |    +---- Königs Wusterhausen {KW}
Land   :  +--------- Brandenburg
ZIP    : 15741
Popul  : 543
Locat  : (Königs Wusterhausen) 52d18m N 13d38m E

If you look for Gribenhof (your first spelling) in All Countries, you will
find nothing any better.

If you look for Gribendorf, you will not find much better hits.

Do it yourself, and see what you end up with.

What is the surname and when did they come into Brazil?

Good luck on your search.

Joe in Texas