[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Sources (was: More on Germans in Poland)

PnSWork at aol.com PnSWork at aol.com
Sat Apr 21 18:22:11 PDT 2007

Hi all,

    I have received several requests for a list of my source  material that I
have gathered over the years, and on which I base my conclusions  and
opinions regarding the migrations of ethnic Germans into the central Poland  region.
Therefore, I have decided to send to the list in the hopes of  helping as
many as possible.

1. 150 Jahre Schwabensiedlungen in Polen 1795-1945; Otto Heike; Fourth
Edition, 1991

This book describes almost all the German villages that were founded at
various times along with a great deal of information about when the village was
founded, where the settlers came from (sometimes with details such as what
village in Germany they came from!), who got how much land, and who still lived
there in the 1940s.

2. Die Auswanderung der Württemberger nach  Westpreußen und dem Netzegau,
1776-1786; Max Miller

This book lists all settlers in the first  wave as found in the Berlin
achives along with some details about where they  came from and where they settled.
This was published by a genealogical  society in Germany in the 1960s or
1970s.

3. Deutschland und Polen; Helmuth Fechner; 1964

4. Auswanderungen aus Baden und dem Breisgau; Werner Hacker

5. Die evangelisch-augsburgischen Gemeinden in Polen 1555 - 1939; Eduard
Kneifel

6. Letter from the Geheimes Staatsarchiv Preussischer Kulturbesitz, dated  29
Aug 2001

In this letter, a representative of the archive kindly identified which
volumes I should search for in the Warsaw archives, and what records they had on
hand in Berlin.  For the records in Berlin, the details are as  follows:
Signatur: GStA PK, II. HA Generaldirektorium, Neuostpreussen,  Materien, Abt VI Nr
1104.  The letter describes that this volume contains a  tabulated list of
materials allocated to each village around Plock.  They  were able to find the
names of four of my ancestors in these lists.

7. Chronik der Familie Vetter; Karl-Heinz Eisner; 1997

This is a self-published booklet (by the author) that describes the travels
of the Vetter family as they moved from Oeschelbronn in Wuerttemberg to Plock,
 Poland, on to Volhynia, back to East Prussia after WW1, and finally back to
Germany in 1945.  It was intended for all descendants of the original  Vetter
patriarch and has a some excellent research on the economic conditions in
Wuerttemberg around 1800 and the conditions found in Plock Poland during the
first few years after the settlement was founded.

8. Chronik der Gemeinde Niefern-Oeschelbronn; Friedrich Leicht and Guenther
Schmalacker; 2002

This book contains two chapters describing the two waves of emigration from
Oeschelbronn.  In the second wave, Oeschelbronn lost almost 10% of it's
population in 1803 when a group of about 80 people set out for Poland.  It  is also
interesting that it mentions that the Prussian recruiters had an office  in a
nearby town from which they conducted their recruiting operations.

9. Church records for Fluorn and Spoeck contain notations by several  people,
indicating that they left for Poland during the two migration  periods

10. Inventur und Teilungsbuch Oeschelbronn, 1802-1803; Civil Records

This is an original copy of all civil transactions that took place in
Oeschelbronn between May 1802 and February 1803.  This is where I found a  record of
two of my ancestors disposing of all their debts and obligations  before they
departed for Poland.

11. Several books (one from each village identified as the ancestral home
for an ancestor) with references to people leaving for Poland.  Villages
include Staffort, Wittershausen, Korb, Fluorn, Trichtingen, and Spoeck.

12. Das Deutschtum in Mittelpolen; A. Breyer; 1938?

This book also has a beautiful map in the back, with a high degree of  detail
on villages and origins of the settlers.  It also has a copy of a
advertisement put out by the Polish authorities in 1817

13. Gedenkschrift zur 125jaehrigen Jubilaeumsfeier der
evangelisch-lutherischen Pfarrgemeinde Plock; Robert Grundlach, Pastor;  1929

14. Documents copied from the original Prussian records now kept at the  main
archive in Warsaw.

A few of these books can be found in microfilm or microfiche form through
the LDS Family History Library in Salt Lake City, UT, however, most of them are
not (including the original records from Oeschelbronn, and the two archives).
I  am not aware of any of this being available on the internet.

That should do it for now.  If you have any questions, please let me  know.

Take care,

    -Paul