[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] More on Germans in Poland

Richard Benert benovich at imt.net
Sun Apr 22 15:27:30 PDT 2007

I happen be reading a wonderful (in some ways) and dreadful (in others) book
by one Bernhard Schwarz, "Wolhyniendeutsches Schicksal", published in
Germany in 1942.  He was a German soldier and quite sympathetic to at least
the cultural cause for which he was fighting--the advancement of Deutschtum.
But Schwarz did have a remarkable ability to describe nature and tell a
story.  I hope that someday I or someone else will be able to bring this
book to light somehow.
Though born in Silesia, he makes one absolutely yearn for Volhynia.

But for now I offer some comments he made about the reasons why people left
Germany for Poland.  One was overpopulation in the villages, which we all
know about.  Then he mentions the restrictions placed on people by gild
regulations and "Bürgerordnung" (which I take to refer to all the civic laws
regulating just about every aspect of life from dancing on the village green
to what you wore and how you behaved towards your betters.  If I'm wrong
about Bürgerordnung, someone please correct me).  This is perhaps something
we sometimes overlook.  Finally he suggests that the emigrants "knew nothing
other than that Germany had for centuries sent its sons abroad (in die
Fremde) because the homeland was too small (die Heimat zu eng war)."  This
last reason is, I think, commonly assumed but not mentioned very often.  It
was just THE THING TO DO when things got tough.  Similar, I suppose, to
moving to the frontier in the U.S.  Except that instead of wiping out the
native population or restricting them to reservations, the Germans, he says,
knew that they would be living among other peoples "either in misery or in a
patient, meager guest friendship (Gastfreundschaft)."  Evidently, Schwarz, a
mere Wehrmacht soldier, didn't know what the Nazi bigwigs thought of these
other peoples, and he never lived to find out.  He was killed on the Russian
front in June, 1941. (The way he talks about Jews, however, makes one wonder
if he would have objected very much to the "final solution".)

Dick B.