[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Germans and Poland

Paul Rakow rakow at ifh.de
Mon Apr 23 12:26:23 PDT 2007

  Hello Margaret,

       I just got back yesterday from a visit to Pommern, (where my
 ancestors on my father's side came from).

      As you've gathered, before 1871 there was no Germany, but lots
 of little states, duchies, electorates, bishoprics, etc. Through most of
 the middle ages Pommern was a duchy (or two - sometimes the ruling family
 split the East and West parts between them).  At the beginning of the
 1600s the ruling family started dying at an alarming rate - this was
 blamed on witchcraft, the witch was tracked down and executed, but it
 didn't help.

     The last Duke of Pommern was Bogislaw the Fourteenth, he died in 1637
 (during the 30 years War) without an heir. Brandenburg and Sweden both
 had claims to Pommern. In 1648, when the 30 years war ended, they split
 it, Sweden got the West, Brandenburg the East. (Oversimplifying a bit
 here - Poland also got some bits of Pommern at about this time, such
 as Lauenburg, but they soon went to Brandenburg, at least in practice)

      Then in 1701 Brandenburg decided to rename itself Prussia, and the
 rulers started calling themselves kings instead of electors.

      Then in 1871 Germany was formed, and the Kings of Prussia
 promoted themselves again, this time to Kaisers of Germany.

      Pommern was already Prussian before the time of the partitions of
 Poland, so they aren't so relevant to your husband's family's history.

      So, if you want a simplified version of who ruled Eastern Pomerania
 in the 1600s, 1700s and 1800s:

    It was the Dukes of Pomerania up till 1637,

    A bit unclear in the 1640s and 1650s,

    The Electors of Brandenburg from 1648 or 1658, till 1701.

    The Kings in/of Prussia from 1701 till 1871.

    Then the German Kaisers from 1871 till 1918,

 (but these three - Electors of Brandenburg, Kings of Prussia, and
 Kaisers of Germany, were really the same family, just giving themselves
 more and more elevated titles as time went on).

    The German republic from 1918 till 1945,

    Poland from 1945 on.

      I'll leave it to others to discuss to what extent that makes your
 husband Polish or German.

       Does this leave you any less confused then before?

           Paul Rakow
           rakow at ifh.de