[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Germans and Poland

LEN GOLKE lengolke at msn.com
Wed Apr 25 08:41:09 PDT 2007

Marlo50:  This question is also about the German/Polish ancestry.  My mother's maiden name was Cicewski and her parents/grandparents were from the Schniedemuhl/Pila area.  As far as we know they were always from that same area.  With a name like Cicewski and an area that was considered "old Poland"  would that not have been an original Polish name and origin that the family later denied when they were "Prussianized"  They too will never admit to anything Polish and put much stock in the "Von" Cicewski name which I believe was a rather worthless title.  My grandfather's village birthplace was Shuche or Golce, it lists it both ways on his naturalization/immigration papers.  He came to America in 1892 at the age of 16.  I believe that whole particular Cicewski family did as well, but not at the same time.
Can you give me any help about the name-whether it is Polish or German and any help as to how I can trace this family back another generation?  Thank you for your help.  Sue Golke