[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Germans and Poland

Otto otto at schienke.com
Wed Apr 25 15:44:38 PDT 2007

Also play with translation of surnames from German to Polish, Polish
to German.
It may unveil insight.
Spellings of surnames had a tendency to become "eingedeutschdt"...
Germanized, even if an actual translation did not occur.

As an example:
I oft come across the surname in research 'Molzahn'. (past friends of
my past parents)
Translated to English="Mol-tooth"?  Every Canadian is familiar with
Molson's Ale.
I find the Molsens coming into the Danzig area in the early 1500's as
Scottish traders.  It did not take long for the surname to become
"eingedeutschdt" i.e. [Molzahn], because Scot traders weren't
welcomed with open arms, mattered not the ethnicity of the unwelcome
wagon. The Scot name in turn, "Mol", uses the suffix "sen"[scand] or
"son"[anglo], an indication of Scandinavian past. "Molsen", the son
of Mol. (researching the meaning of 'Mol' is another adventure)
Changing the spelling did not change the persons bearing the name,
they were "ethnisized" by cross-breeding with the German people of
their parishes down through time.

Spelling variations of the name and a quick check in year 2000 Poland
for evidence of a surname use by the spellings-
Ci-cew-ski -   (Tsee-tsev'skee) ? none
Ci-sew-ski -   (Tsee-sev'skee) ? some
Zieschewski - (Tsi-shev'skee) ~
Zischewski -  (Tsee-shev'skee) *
Ciszewski -  (Tsee-shev'skee) !* most! prolific.
Cieszewski -  (Tsi-shev'skee) ! lots
Try googling for them-

It boils down to this:
Love has no difficulty hurdling the hedge-rows of ethnicity. A kiss
has no accent.
The real challenge was the high brick wall of religious persuasion,
but even there, love prevailed.
In speaking with an individual from a long line of Polish nobility
(1100 c.e.>) some years ago, I was made aware that every so often in
his pedigree there were breaks in the lineage. . . informing me some
of his forefathers were wiser than the rest; they lived their life
out with a beautiful woman in preference to a noble one.