[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Integration of Germans with Polish

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Thu Apr 26 12:02:48 PDT 2007

Rachael Patterson schrieb:

>Yes...this "is" fun. The M Rec translation I attached was of the son of my
>3GGrandmother who had the possible Polish name of Terezja Witkowska
>(Witkowski), whoes religion was apparently Catholic, as her son my
>2GGrandfather was not allowed to send bans of announcement out to his
>Church, yet three bans were sent out to the Evangelical Church. Thus, he
>Terezja Witkowska may have been of the Polish ethnicity, because as Jerry
>mentions if there is Catholic involved, then there may be Polish. Perhaps
>Terezja's husband converted to the Catholic faith when he married his
>Polish? wife. But after seeing your research on your family with respect to
>the Catholic faith...who really knows?? This is tough....:)

Hello Gilda,
we must recognize the political circumstances under which these mixed
marriages took place. It was the evangelical and religiously relatively
permissive Prussia (I think, the catholic church had no possibility to
enforce conversions toward catholicism). The catholic (Polish) partner
of the mixed couple was allowed to keep his/her confession but it was
the official object in view to baptize the children evangelically.

Günther