[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Wilcziska = Witkowska

Otto otto at schienke.com
Thu Apr 26 20:23:22 PDT 2007

Evening Gilda,
I am not familiar enough with the Polish language to understand their
complex use of suffixes with core words.
I would venture a 'no' as answer to your question.
The names have gender specific suffix ending in 'a' -feminine.
Females possess the surnames.
Wilczi-ska     (ski/ska)
Wit-kow-ska  (ski/ska)

The spelling "Wilczi" could well be a 'sounds like' of "Wilcze"

In Poland
Villages exist by the name Wilcze and Wilcza
Villages exist by the name Witkow

Witkow-ski/ska in Poland (42,000+ persons)
Only a handful of "Wilcze-ska/ski (12 persons)
Both surnames exist.
(Emphasis in Polish is usually place on the second from last syllable.)

Perhaps some other contributors could firm it up more.

On Apr 26, 2007, at 7:20 PM, Rachael Patterson wrote:
> Can anyone tell me if the following transcribed name:
> Wilcziska is the same as Witkowska???
> Many thanks,
> Gilda

. . .   Otto

             " The Zen moment..." wk. of April 1, 2007-
              "Like fishing. . . always beyond the surface."