[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Book about German-Russians, request for title/author

Edith McKelvy edies_hook at msn.com
Tue Aug 21 10:02:32 PDT 2007

Good Morning, Fellow Members!  Several years ago I read a book about a small
group of German-Russians and have forgotten the title and author.   Here is
the plot line as I remember it:

A charismatic, religious fanatic (circa 1920-30 in Germany?) convinces his
followers that he knows the date of the end of the world, and if they will
follow him into eastern Russia they will be saved.  After several years of
migration eastward, they are finally granted some inferior land by a
Turkish/Ottoman leader.

The date of the end of the world comes, and nothing happens.  The
disillusioned remnants of his group start the long trek back home thru
Russia during the 1940s by wagon train and extreme hardship.

When they reach the German border, they are refused entry by Gen. Dwight D.
Eisenhower.  He is following orders re realignment of German/Poland/Russian
borders determined by Churchill/Stalin/Roosevelt and has no choice but to
send the people back to certain death in the Soviet Union.

1.  If anyone recognizes this book, please send me the title and author.

2.  Did this event (or something similar) actually occur?  Or is the book
entirely fiction?  Any historical info would be most appreciated.

Edith Rimple McKelvy                      edies_hook at msn.com
Silverdale WA