[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Christmas customs of Volhynians?

Bill Fife wmfife at telus.net
Wed Dec 5 10:05:53 PST 2007

I guess many of our Christmases were similar.

We would attend church on Christmas eve and then go home to a decorated
tree.  Always wondered why my father did not attend church that evening.

We also celebrated Christmas Eve, with one gift each.  Although we now have
turkey at Christmas, we still have a large dish of Holopchi (cabbage rolls)
on the table.  We make them with ground beef and pork mixed with the rice.
No toothpicks, just roll them up and poke each end in with a finger.

Although I love the old poppy seed Kuchen I have a hard time getting my wife
to make it.  Got a good recipe for it from Otto Schienke a couple of years
ago.  My wife says it too much trouble.  Guess that is what I get for
marrying an English girl rather then a German one :)

Bill Fife