[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Christmas Customs of Volhynians

rlyster at telusplanet.net rlyster at telusplanet.net
Wed Dec 5 17:16:42 PST 2007

I thought of one more thing to share from my mother's story:

In the same village of Milashev, there also lived Ukranian families.  For the
Christian Christmas of Dec.24 the Ukranian's came to sing their carols and
were invited in to share some of the german baking.

14 days later the German families sang at the homes of the Ukranians.  They
carried candles behind paper cutouts. (the Ukrainian's did the same but
their's were fancier)  Then the Germans were invited in to a table laden with
all kinds of food...embroidered table cloth, sausage, baking.  My mother
remembers that when the Ukranians made their sausage casing (pig intestine
turned inside out), they didn't scrap the lining off so it was still on the
outside of the sausage....she was a very fussy eater so didn't eat it but
brought it home....her father said "I don't care about the outside or how it
looks, but it tastes very good!"

Both my parents remember their trees decorated with paper chains, fruit like
apples tied from the stem, perhaps some wrapped candies and candles...with
great care so not to have a fire.  Sometimes hazelnuts were also tied and hung
on!

Rita Lyster

Quoting GVLESS at aol.com: