[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Christmas Customs of Volhynians

karlann at juno.com karlann at juno.com
Wed Dec 5 19:41:30 PST 2007

My father's parents were born in Volhynia, and they had no Christmas tree or gifts, but would prepare special foods for Christmas. Latkes (potato pancakes), pelmeni (ravioli-type pasta filled with cherries) and potato dumplings were traditionally served at Christmas. My father made us the latkes and the potato dumplings many times, but he never attempted the pelmeni, which I have only tasted in Russian or Ukrainian restaurants.

I assume latkes were popular not only with Jewish families, as my ancestors were Volhynian Lutherans. My father would not put much onion his latkes--only a small amount, about 1/4 grated onion to 5-6 grated potatoes, along with the eggs, flour or matzoh meal and salt and pepper.

Poppyseed cake, made like a pound cake, was also a very popular dessert anytime of year,  which my mother, who had no German or Volhynian ancestry, found not very difficult to make. she used a can of  purchased Sago poppyseed filling. It was flavored with lemon rind and lemon juice and/or lemon extract. I think the recipe was/is on the can of poppyseed filling.

Someone inquired about a fruit stuffing for roast goose. My grandmother prepared a delicious bread stuffing which incorporated chopped, peeled apple, prunes,and raisins and was seasoned with a little finely chopped onion and broth. It was absolutely wonderful with goose.

Karla Walters

Keep your home running smoothly with great home automation solutions! Click now!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2121/fc/Ioyw6i3nAIoK6ot96KWc63b6SfI9oqM7Ce8ddyx5HxxPlA7tlwcfgb/