[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Sterbfritz Hessen-Nassua

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Fri Dec 7 11:08:09 PST 2007

Your region of research is a little out of range for the focus of our mailing list but we can still try to help.

As a rule of thumb, the late 1500s is about as far back as you will be able to extend your research unless you tap into nobility or royalty.  It was at this time that churches generally began to keep records.  With some luck you may find a few earlier church or civil records.  Anything else will probably require research in local or regional archives.

As one example, I have traced my maternal Hemminger family back to c.1561 via church records at Nagold, Wuerttemberg.  I did locate something called a Lagerbuch for the region which contains information about land ownership and tax records for the 1530s era.  I found my family name in it but cannot conclusively prove a connection.

Jerry Frank