[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Christmas and geese

Kerstin Petersen kerstin.petersen at mail.dk
Sat Dec 8 05:30:42 PST 2007

Hello,

My grandparents where from Volhynia and arrived in Germany 1914 in a part that after WW1 came back to Denmark.

On Christmas Eve (24) we had geese stuffed with apples and prunes. So it is not any fruit. I should be apples and prunes to get the right taste I think. We still do that today and we also do it in Denmark.

Together with that we had "sugar potatoes" (I do not know what it is called in english)  and brown sauce.

We sang "Stille Nacht Heilige Nacht" in German.

I think the Christmas tree is a tradition that started in Germany in the 15.th and 16.th century. From around 1810 the tradition started in the rest of Europe.

Kerstin Petersen
Denmark