[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] -ow of Slavian origin

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Sat Feb 3 06:58:07 PST 2007

Bronwyn Klimach schrieb:

> I was under the impression that the -ow ending (pronounced as in the town
>Prenzlau which appears as Prenzlow on some old maps)  was of Slav origin.
>Am I mistaken?
>Otto, can you tell me please, when were Berliners adding -ow to their
>surnames?
>Bron.

Hi Bron,
no you are right, the -ow suffixe indicates the male genitive plural of
the family or tribe name of the original owners or inhabitants. I never
saw an artificial German -ow suffixe in Berlin (grew up in the nearby
town of Brandenburg, studied in Berlin). The masses of -ow in the
Brandenburg province are definitely of Slavian origin. Villages in the
vicinity of Brandenburg are Mötzow, Butzow, Bagow, Roskow, Möthlow,
Brielow, Bochow, Krielow, Glindow, Plessow, Petzow, Geltow etc. The -ow
suffixe was partially changed into the german -au but definitely by
mistake since -au indicates a wet area in a river valley or plain (in
Slavian -awa).

Guenther