[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Kaminski ethnicity

Hal and Jan Kamm hjkamm at charter.net
Sat Feb 17 14:25:23 PST 2007

This is my first post on this list.

I am a grandson of Arthur Kaminski, who arrived in US in 1907 listed
as Russian nationality, but German ethnicity. The ship manifest noted
Ripen as the town of origin. I cannot find a town named Ripen, but
there is one called Rypin in Kujawsko-Pomorskie, Poland.

I am confused about the German ethnicity versus Russian/Polish
nationality. I had heard stories years ago about the family working
as millers of grain across northern Europe. Would names be changed
temporarily, during one generation or less, depending on where they
were living?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks