[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Kaminski ethnicity

Greg Mason gmason001 at comcast.net
Sun Feb 18 04:33:00 PST 2007

Hal and Jan:  I'll try to add a bit to Gary's information.  My  wife
has  relatives from the Rippen/Ripin/Rypin area, so we have done a a
bit of research on this subject as well as visited the area in 1994.
Rypin (the current Polish version of spelling) is both a county and a
city in north central Poland.  The city, roughly in the center of the
county, is 44 kilometers east of Torun in the present day province of
Kujawsko-Pomorskie. (1945-1975 = Bydgoszcz; 1939-1945 = West Prussia;
1918-1939 = Warszawa Pre 1918 = Plock)  The county is one of two
counties that made up the area frequently  referred to by the German
settlers as the Dobriner Land.  There were a significant number of
ethnic German settlers in Rypin county beginning at least as early as
the early 1700s and continuing up to the expulsion in 1945.
(Although some Germans did remain following the end of WWII, they are
very few in number.) Most of the German settlements in Rypin county
were along the northern quarter of the county boarding with Prussia.
Additionally, there were a cluster of German settlements around the
town of Rypin and extending south into the bordering county of Lipno.
Generally speaking there were only two Lutheran Parishes in Rypin
county:  Rypin city and also Michalki, about 7 kilometers north-east
from the Rypin. If you join SGGEE, you will have access to a wealth
of information about Russia-Poland (Congress Poland) and also access
to Jerry Franks excellent maps of the area.  Additionally, the June
2006 issue of the SGGEE Journal contains a cover story (and pictures)
about the Lutheran church in Rypin city.  Additionally, there is a
great article by Earl Schultz about the Photographer's studio in
Rypin and the back drop that graces the photos of our family members
who had their portraits made in that studio.  (Perhaps you have some
also of your family members.)  Additionally, Earl has a mastery of
knowledge about the Michalki Parish records, which may include your
family, once you  determine where in Rypin they lived. Another site
that can give you  good background information about the area is
"Upstream Vistula":   http://www.upstreamvistula.org/index.htm   Hope
this is helpful to you and best wishes on your research in Dobriner
Land.
Greg Mason