[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Kaminski ethnicity

Otto otto at schienke.com
Sun Feb 18 14:09:41 PST 2007

Jan Textor,

I have difficulty accepting words tagged 'Slavic' by a 1500's monk
and thoughts phrased in Latin by a belief that engaged in 400 years
of ethnocide in attempting to eradicate West Baltic Prussians. For
this reason my reference to the Pomeranian 'Kaminske'. (west baltic
coast)   The question remains, is the root word 'Kamin' or 'Kamins'
Slavic or of a more ancient source?

Attempting to establish ancient meaning based on today's words can be
as frustrating as looking for fish tracks in the sand.

Note the ancient 'Old Prussian' language word "Kamins" (now an
extinct language-circa 1500's)
(my previous reference to Kamins-ke hinted at this)

capital letters=Old Prussian / OP pronunciation / Meaning in German /
Meaning in English
KAMÎNS, gen KAMINAS / Kamenis E 515: Schmiedeherd / forging furnace
KAMÎNS, gen KAMINAS / Kamenis E 222: Schornstein / chimney (flue)

The language may be extinct, but are the people?

I do not question the Polish use of the word. . .
I question the introduction of the word into the Polish language.
Borrowed? If so, from who?
On Feb 18, 2007, at 2:53 PM, Jan Textor wrote:

> Kamin~ski is a Polish surname, variations are Kamien~ski and
> Kaminski.  The stem of the name is Kamien~, not Kamin.  The Polish
> word Kamien~ means stone or rock.  In German, stone or rock is
> Stein.  Therefore, the German names Stein, Steinke and even
> Koberstein were sometimes Polonized into Kaminski etc.  I do not
> think you will find the stem of a Polish surname in German
> dictionaries or telephone books.
>
> You can read more about the name here:
> http://www.polishroots.com/surnames/surnames_33.htm#KAMIN~SKI
>
> Jan Textor

. . .   Otto

             " The Zen moment..." wk. of January 28, 2007