[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Kaminski ethnicity

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Mon Feb 19 03:22:00 PST 2007

Nelson Itterman schrieb:

>I would assume it may be as surprise, if your name is Kaminski, to be told
>that it could be Koberstein  or Stein or Steinke or vice versa. Would I also
>have relatives that have a different name than Ittermann?
>Nelson

Hello Nelson,
the earliest ITTERMANN in the IGI are from Solingen, Rhine province,
Prussia. You find still earlier ITTERMAN as steel curers and grinders in
the Solingen brotherhood of craftsmen in 17th century (
http://home.arcor.de/maramut/02arc/nam1koe.htm and
http://home.arcor.de/maramut/02arc/hebbuch1.htm ). Their name origin is
quite clearly the Itter, a little river with its source in Gräfrath,
Solingen, and its estuary into the Rhine south of Düsseldorf. It is also
the local river of my home town Hilden. Knife curing and grinding is
still alive in present Gräfrath and Solingen is still the German
'Klingenstadt' (city of blades).
The carnival salutation in Hilden is 'Itter Itter Helau!'

Günther