[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Ger-Poland-Volhynia Digest, Vol 44, Issue 10

HorstRenz at aol.com HorstRenz at aol.com
Sun Jan 7 15:40:02 PST 2007

This is to any and all out there:  Since you're on the topic of Janows  in
Mittelpolen--I would be very grateful if someone could help me in researching
my paternal grand and great-grandparents.  I seem to have hit a wall and  can't
seem to get further.  My grandfather , August Ren(t)z  was  according to a
number of documents, born in Janow/ Gouv. Warschau on 10 Feb.  1864 .  In my
researches, I've discovered 36 Janows existing in Russian  Poland (Mittelpolen)
in the 19th century, at least half a dozen in Gouv.  Warschau.  My father had
told me years ago that his father, August, was  from Minsk.  I've never found
any documents supporting that as a  birthplace, but there was supposedly a
Janow a few km. from Minsk in the  Warschau Gouv.  There don't seem to be any
Lutheran records in Minsk or  surrounding area from the 1860's surviving.  Might
there be something in  the Catholic records for that area and where would I
Iook for  it?   My great-grandfather, Gottlieb Ren(t)z was also supposedly born
in Gouv. Warschau in @ 1839, but I don't know exactly where or when.
Gottlieb's wife, my great-grandmother, Justine Werner, was supposedly born @1843  in
Borowe/ Kreis Grojec-Pilica in Warschau Gouv. , but I haven't been able to
find her in the Grojec records either because there's a gap in the records
around the time of her birth.  Complicating all this is the discovery that  there
was a Janow in the area of Grojec as well.  The records don't seem to  go back
to 1839 and I haven't found traces of any Ren(t)z entries in the ensuing
years.