[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] REMPEL research

Edith McKelvy edies_hook at msn.com
Wed Jan 10 09:50:01 PST 2007

Good Morning!  Thank you for your prompt response to my request for
assistance re birthplace of my paternal grandfather Fred Rempel
(Rimpel-Rimple).  The passenger list of ANGLOMAN (Liverpool-Montreal
5-7-1896) does show these families, but again Grandpa's birthplace/origin is
shown only as Prussia/Russia.

They were the only people going to South Dakota (on this list), so assume?
they were not travelling as a group of homesteaders, but travelled
independently--thus, cannot check out any of their companions.

Even though family tradition states that Grandpa was Lutheran, could he
actually have been a Mennonite who converted to Lutheranism when he married
Grandma Anna Schiller?  I read somewhere that children born to a Lutheran in
Ukraine were required to be baptized as Lutheran.  Any info on this?

Rempel is a common Mennonite name, so my next contact will be the Mennonite
and Rempel websites, as well as the local LDS center.

I don't know how to find census/obits on Grandpa's brother Wilhelm Rempel,
who immigrated to Barrhead-Westlock AB area circa 1918.  He probably died in
Alberta or B.C.  I am not familiar with Canadian research; are there
websites for this info?

Once again, thank you for your help and encouragement.  Keep warm....

Edie Rimple McKelvy
Silverdale WA