[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] food spelling please

Otto otto at schienke.com
Tue Jan 23 21:03:58 PST 2007

Evening Rita-
I do not know if I can give you a correct spelling-
I may be able to describe what you are referring to.

It is not a specific recipe.

First I will name it and certainly stand to be corrected:
"Schacherscherke  (scherken)"Schergen?)
it refers to haggler's crumbs or bits - one could refer to them as
beggar's bits.

The 'suppe' or 'soup' is correct.  Water was plentiful.   For the
remainder one went 'schacheren' in the root cellar.
After wintering through on the farm, little was left in the food
trenches or root cellar. They were scraping the bottom of the barrels.
The cook would gather together whatever grubby old potatoes, grains,
schwarte (bacon rinds) on hand and boil a soup. Bacon grease could be
added with whatever kraut still remained. Raw egg could be dribbled
in to fortify it.

I still make it but call it 'kraut soup'.  Schacherscherke... es
schmekt doch gar zu gut!

You may be referring to something a bit different, yet the
description fits.
Flour, eggs and milk made a nutritious soup.

On Jan 23, 2007, at 10:14 PM, rlyster at telusplanet.net wrote:
> My mother describes their common breakfast food as (spelled
> phonetically):
>                                 tsacherkin suppe
> this was flour, eggs and salt rubbed into granular, cornmeal like
> consistency
> and then stirred into milk and simmered until cooked and slightly
> thickened.
> Can anyone tell me the correct spelling?
> Thankyou,
> Rita Lyster

. . .   Otto

             " The Zen moment..." wk. of January 14, 2007