[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] help searching ship manifests

Jack Leigh jack.leigh at shaw.ca
Tue Jan 30 13:08:42 PST 2007

I'd like to support Dave's suggestion about waiting for more records to be
made available through ancestorsonboard.com.  They should be available to
1960 soon.  These are indexed lists of outbound passengers from England to
wherever, and will only be useful if your ancestor travelled indirectly to
his destination -- from the Continent to England and on from there.  On the
bright side, this was a very common and well organized way of travelling.

I have already had great success with ancestorsonboard.

Like Jerry, many years ago I searched all of the 1890's Canadian arrivals
ships' manifests sitting at a microfilm reader for hours.  I was looking
for my wife's 16 year old (future) grandfather Philipp SCHINDEL from
Volhynia (born 1877 so should have arrived in 1893 if the family story was
correct) and didn't find him.  A week or so ago it took me about 15 minutes
to find him, in 1893 as expected, at ancestorsonboard.com.  While the
outbound records don't give very much information about indirect
passengers, they do give the name of the ship and the date of sailing so I
can now go back to the Canadian arrivals manifest and (hopefully) find what
I missed before.