[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Name/location of Volhynian towns circa 1860-1920

Edith McKelvy edies_hook at msn.com
Tue Jul 3 11:03:27 PDT 2007

Good Morning!  I recently received a priceless recording of an interview
made in 1993 with my cousin Fred Rempel of Bruderheim-Barrhead AB.  Fred has
since passed away.  His strong German accent has made it difficult for me to
identify some of the areas where he lived in Volhynia and West Prussia.

Following are phonetic spellings IN CAPS as I hear them on the recording.
If at all possible, please send me the correct spellings and locations of
these areas.

They are the key to my paternal grandfather's birthplace and marriage.
Without them, I am stuck, as I have already checked census, ships lists,
Odessa3, etc.  Even your best guess would be helpful.

#1.  Fred Rempel was born in 1909 in   TCHA-VEE-ESS-KA,   or
CHA-VIE-IF-KA,  a village near Zhitomir.

Helpful hint:  Fred's uncle (my grandfather Friedrich Rempel/Rimpel) married
Anna Schiller, who was born in 1864 in Murawi/Zhitomir area (source:
Odessa3).   The families may have known each other, and Murawi may have been
nearby.

#2.   In July 1914, Fred, his mother, and four siblings lost their property
because they were Germans, and were sent to "concentration camps" (Fred's
words) in

        RALS-KETT, or ROLFS, or NARALSKETT  -- then to Samara -- then back
to RALS-KETT  until 1919.

#3.   Upon returning home, all their property had been destroyed, so they
went to Germany where they were recruited as hired help and farm laborers.

        Later, they moved to   ROSK     in West Prussia, where they remained
until immigration to Canada.

If anyone has any ideas or information on the above locations shown in
CAPITAL LETTERS, please let me know.    Your assistance would be truly
appreciated.

Edith Rimple McKelvy                edies_hook at msn.com
Silverdale, WA