[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] POBANZ

Otto otto at schienke.com
Fri Jul 20 08:35:46 PDT 2007

Morning Larry,
Phonetics and 'sounds like' are at play.
Also, do not discount Ellis Island 'muddle'...

Go with the 'POBANZ' spelling.
Undoubtedly the earlier form of the surname.
'Pobontz' is similar.
'Z' and 'TZ' generate the same sound. ('ts')
'Z', 'TZ' and the Polish 'C' generate the same sound "TS" as in 'tots'.

The 'sky' suffix ending on 'Nowasky' (No'vah'skee) is Russian.
The Polish rendering is 'ski' (skee)

The remainder of the Pobanz spellings are phonetic 'I think it sounds
like' interpretation of 'Pobanz'.
Google returns 42,000 pages for Pobanz and less than 600 for
'Pobantz', the alternative spelling.

2000 Polish census