[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] POBANZ

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Fri Jul 20 09:18:54 PDT 2007

Lawrence,

Can you clarify your question?

Are you saying that  Leier or Nowasky has become Pobanz or variant?  That would seem to be a very odd conversion.  If true, then are you absolutely certain that these documents are referring to the same people?

Or is Pobanz a third surname that becomes connected to the family through marriage?

It may be helpful to provide details of the various documents and the context in which these surnames are used.  Also, what kind of research have you done to take you through these documents - or are they just random papers you have found among your family documents?

Also, as Otto has already indicated, it would appear that your Pobanz might have a Slavic / Germanic spelling connection to it.  For example, in Polish, the c carries either a t or a tz sound, depending on its location in a word.  So - Marcin = Martin;  Hinc = Hintz;  Shulc = Schultz or Schulz;  etc.  With that in mind, you can probably picture how such spelling variantions came to be.

Jerry