[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Town

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Tue Jul 24 06:13:00 PDT 2007

At 06:31 PM 23/07/2007, Sandie wrote:
>I would appreciate assistance in locating the following area. This
>was in 1834.
>
>village Koscielna (township Jakiwiszki) - Folwark (big farm) Ryngwaldyczki
>
>Thank you.
>Sandie

As Rose indicated, it will be helpful if you can put these in context
for us with the name of another town or by indicating the source of your info.

There are at least 6 Koscielna scattered throughout Poland but they
all have a suffix term following them which is why ShtetlSeeker did
not find them.  They are Koscielna  Droga, Koscielna Gora, Koscielna
Jana, Koscielna Wies (X 2).  There are also variants such as
Koscielniki, and Koscielnik.

Kosciel...  has, as it's root, the workd kos~ciol~ where the ~
indicates a diacritic with the previous letter.  That word = church,
so Kosciel... is a word that relates to a church.  For example,
kos~cielny is an adjective that means "of church" or ecclesiastical.

As was the case with Joe's efforts, I could not find anything
directly like Jakiwiszki.  If there is an n missing, it could be
Jankowice which would have, except for the n, a similar
pronunciation.  There are at least 18 Jankowice scattered throughout
Poland.  None appear to be in the immediate vicinity of one of the
Koscielna.  If there is a missing "ub", it could be something like Jakubowice.

Ringwald is a common surname.  Folwark Ryngwalyczki would be the
"farm of Ringwald".

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca