[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] religions-Evangelical/Lutheran

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Mon Jun 4 01:35:09 PDT 2007

Marlo50 schrieb:

>I am wondering, is there a difference in the Evangelical records and the Lutheran records in the pommern records?  I thought my family was Evangelical originally but now some of the family was
> Lutheran and some were Reformed after they came to this country.
>What were they in the Pommern, Stolp, Rummelsburg areas?

Hello Margaret,
in this respect the church history was in Pomerania the same like in
other Prussian provinces. Since the Calvinist Huguenots came from France
to the eastern parts of Prussia, there were two evangelical churches,
the Lutheran and the Reformed (Calvinist) church. They united by royal
decree on 27th September, 1817 and formed the "Kirche der Altpreußischen
Union" (Evangelisch-Unierte Kirche). -> read
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prussian_Union_%28Evangelical_Christian_Church%29
.

Reformed Evangelical records might point to Huguenot ancestors since out
of them just the Prussian royal family and parts of the Lower Rhine,
Hunsrueck and the County of Berg were Calvinist.

Supposedly your parish records are partially older than 1817.

Günther