[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] German Occupation - Latvian - Contractor

Reiner Kerp mail at reiner-kerp.de
Tue Jun 5 05:39:23 PDT 2007

Hello Sig Matt,

when you wrote:

> I believe the key to resolving the kontraktneek question
> would be to find someone familiar enough with the
> Latvian language and also familiar with the common
> usage of terms in that area.

you are at the safe side. But as long as we don´t have such a person, thus
cannot prove the meaning of this word. A situation which we encounter again
and again and have to deal with. As my mother-in-law doesn´t live anymore, I
cannot ask her furthermor. She and her family lived at Angerburg/Ostpreußen,
which is pretty close to Lithuania. As many  terms in records are based on
Latin, I usually get my Latin dictionary and try to conclude, what a term
may mean.

> I grew up in Eastprussia, I was 14 at the time in 1945.

Who else could be an expert like you!!! Share your knowledge.

Connected to the above topic I was asked what Deputat, Scharwerk and Vormann
means. As I don´t know this, I just checked my dictionaries, Wiki and
GenWiki or tried to find a good explanation. Unfortunately I didn´t find one
good enough to answer.

Genealogy stays being a challange! Conclusions ar no evidence.

Best wishes,

Reiner