[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] German Occupation - Latvian - Contractor

Howard Krushel krushelh at telus.net
Tue Jun 5 08:56:58 PDT 2007

Sig Matt:
Other occupations noted in the records were, Pferdeknecht; would he have
taken care of a team of horses and worked the field with them or would he
have taken care of the horses after they had returned from working the
fields; then there was the 1st Cook(Koch) and 2nd Cook; did they cook for
the Gutsbesitzer as well as the knechts and Instleute? ;Stuben maedchen-
would they have taken care of the Manor house? Kutscher- he would have been
available to drive the Estate owner and his family around in a carriage? And
would too likely have taken care of the carriage horses? Would there have
been several foreman or just one, and would they have been given a special
title?
Occasionally I see the term Schaeferknecht which I assume is a Shepard but
then there is the term of Hirt which I presume might be a cattle or goose
herder? Were the Instleute also given heating fuel in the form of peat or
wood? ; but in regard to wages, were instead, paid in kind, rather than paid
wages; it almost sounded like this was only a very small step away from the
days of feudalism. According to family folklore, a great Uncle, after he was
asked to sell a bull at the local market, instead of returning to the
Estate, used the money to travel to America. The story continues, that he
returned several years later, paid back the money, and brought his family to
America.
Howard Krushel