[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Surname Guenther - Huge family plot located in Cleveland, OH

Rachael Patterson patterson.rachael at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 07:59:30 PDT 2007

Good Day!

While visiting my cousin in Cleveland, OH, USA, we were visiting the
gravesite of our Grand Uncle Jakob Schmeltzer, West Park Cemetery, and we
came across a fascinating huge headstone for the family Guenther with two
large angels on each side like bookends. Because I love angels & esp.
headstones, I captured this image on my digital camera.  There were
two small gravestones for this family whoes names are John & Elizabeth:

John Guenther B 1887 D 1956
Elizabeth Guenther B 1890 D 1986

If there is anyone on this List who may have family members with the surname
of Guenther who immigrated to the Cleveland area, this may be a lead or
their family buriel place.

Alas...my Grand Uncle Jakob Schmeltzer was buried in an unmarked grave in
this graveyard, as he was tragically murdered at the age of 21 in 1908,
shortly after his immigration to Cleveland...this by a jealous husband. I
have the Cemetery record of his place of burial...and my cousin & I captured
a image of this record as well as his unmarked grave....as well as I've
managed to locate the frontpage coverage of his murder from the Cleveland
Public Library Archives. My cousin Mara Manke & I also visited the place
where young Jakob was rooming as a border, but the house has been torn
down...along with three other dwellings from that era. We managed to
retrieve copies of the housing layout via the Cleveland Public Library
Archives as well. So interesting...but so tragic...

I also captured a headstone for the family name of Brenner from the
Cleveland Lutheran Cemetery where my other Schmeltzer relatives (ancestors)
are buried. This is a beautiful family headstone. A huge Angel standing
about 12-15 feet high. When asking the Cemetery Administrator, she said this
was hand-carved & could cost up to $20,000 to be placed there today. I have
Brenner ancestors, but have not placed the link to this one.

Anyone interested, please feel free to email me directly & I can send you
these images.

Have a great Day!

Gilda Patterson
Calgary, AB, CANADA