[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] NETZAL-k GARTZ

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Fri Jun 8 06:33:59 PDT 2007

Otto schrieb:

>NETZAL-K   NETZEL   Nezel  Nötzel  Noetzel   Natzel    Do not
>discount Netzke, Netzcke-

Jery and Otto,
www.pgsa.org/kashnam2.htm says:

> 166) Spelling in Kashub Poland: NETZEL, NECEL
> Common in middle and northern part of Cassubia.
> Variations of Name in U.S.A.: NETZEL

www.herby.com.pl/herby/indexslo.html has 164 NETZEL entries concentrated
in the former Gdansk (50), Warsaw (31) and Lodz (30) wojewodztwa,
and 558 NECEL, strongly concentrated in the former Gdansk (411) woj. (no
NETZALK),
but 2122 NIEDZIAŁEK concentrated in the former Lublin (331), Tarnobrzeg
(315) and Siedlce (279) woj.
According to www.Ellisisland.org , at least 22 of the NIEDZIAŁEK tribe
emigrated to the USA, some of them from 'Karnew' [maybe Korniv,
Ivano-Frankivsk] and 'Biala', Russia, the rest from Galicia, Austria. In
Germany I found just several NEDZOLLEK but no NIEDZIALEK.

The Kashubian 'niedzela' and the Polish 'niedzieła' stand for 'sunday'.
So apparently each first Niedzieła, Necel, Necelman or Niedziałek
[NETZALK] was a sunday child. But likewise apparently there is no
stringent linkage between the Kashubian NETZEL / NECEL families and the
NIEDZIAŁEK families from southeastern Poland.

Günther