[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] writing in German, Russian

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Sun Jun 10 08:04:00 PDT 2007

Ken,

The German characters came through OK for me but
not the Cyrillic.  I find that the software
settings can be a mixed bag, at least in my
use.  Sometimes the German characters are jumbled
up while other times they are absolutely
correct.  Sometimes I see Cyrillic, other times not.

As for translation software, it is OK for basic
elementary translations but generally cannot
handle detail very well.  Both languages contain
words that have two or more non-related
meanings.  The software cannot analyze intent and
therefore picks one at random.  Software is not
good at establishing context nor at understanding colloquialisms, etc.

A good way to test whatever software you use is
to take an unknown language phrase and translate
it into your known language.  Here is GOOGLE's
attempt to translate a paragraph that appears on
one of SGGEE's German language pages.

"Die evangelisch-augsburgische Kirche in Brzeziny
wurde 1829 gegründet. Vor dieser Zeit bereiste
der Pfarrer des Kirchspiels Ilow die Region zwei
Mal im Jahr, um die Kinder zu konfirmieren.
Konfirmationseinträge aus dieser Zeit und
verstreut auch weitere Daten befinden sich im Kirchenbuch von Ilow."

"The Evangelist augsburgische church in Brzeziny
was created 1829. Before this time the minister
of the Kirchspiels Ilow the region two times
bereiste in the year, in order to konfirmieren
the children. Konfirmationseinträge from this
time and scattered also further data are in the church book of Ilow."

If you are just trying to get a rough overview of
what is being said, such software is OK.  But do
not rely on it for accuracy and detail.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca