[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] looking for the town of Darhehan, East Prussia

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Tue Jun 12 19:37:43 PDT 2007

At 07:36 PM 12/06/2007, busch616 at comcast.net wrote:
>Hello,
>In researching my husband's grandfather, I seem to have run into a
>brick wall. His marriage license (US)says he is from Darhehan, East
>Prussia. He was born in 1869 and came to the US in 1895. I have not
>been able to find a town of this name. I know that many immigrants
>could not spell their town's name and am thinking that this is the
>case. Is there anyone out there who might know what the town is?
>Also, his wife comes from Heimusloh, Germany. Again, I cannot find
>this town. Any help would be appreciated.

Using http//www.kartenmeister.com , and searching for places starting
with Dar. . . , the most likely match appears to be Darkehmen,
alternatively known as Angergap and alternately spelled
Darkiejmy.  Today it is known as Ozersk, located just on the Russian
side of the border with Poland at N54/24 E22/00.

Heimusloh is too badly corrupted to make a guess at.  Germany at the
time included a rather vast territory that could place it almost
anywhere in modern Germany, Poland, or the Baltic Russia.

Have you tried to find them on a passenger ship list?  This might
hold further clues to a specific location.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca