[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Odd characters with other languages

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Wed Jun 13 06:30:37 PDT 2007

At 03:30 PM 11/06/2007, Robin Grube wrote:
>I've been following with interest the posts on using babelfish and other
>internet  or software translation services. Sometimes the gibberish is
>funny, usually frustrating, and almost certainly dangerous to send as a
>message to a non-English speaker. My current question is so simple, but I
>don't know how to correct it. I use gmail ( Google) for my email service,
>and all the messages I get from your mail list replaces vowels with umlauts
>and other characters as a question mark ( ?) When this happens twice in one
>word, I can get quite confused. I have tried changing all kinds of settings,
>but no luck. Can anyone help me? Amazingly, sometimes cyrillic comes through
>fine, others times, not. Thanks, Robin

I honestly don't know what the answer to this particular problem
is.  I use Eudora as my email software.  Sometimes I see Cyrillic
characters, other times I see gibberish.  Sometimes I see the German
umlauts, other times not.  There has to be a factor in what method
the poster is using to send the material as well as your own local settings.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca