[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Evangelical Church Establishment

Howard Krushel krushelh at telus.net
Sat Jun 16 16:35:27 PDT 2007

According to Kowallis-A Genealogical Guide and Atlas of Silesia, a German
book published in 1838, Gruenberg must have been an early Evangelical
parish, as this reference lists the marr. and death records as beginning in
1679; however in a 7 km. distant village of Drentkau the Evangelical records
begin at 1582;Zauche records to begin in 1582; starting dates for the other
villages surrounding Gruenberg appears to be around the 1679 period.
I believe that generally speaking, the early church scribes maintained the
records for the state/district. Civil registration came into being much
later. I gather that the response at the local parish to the request by the
church hierarchy to maintain written church records, was sporadic and so
there was a variation in the time that various parishes began to record the
official functions of the church.
Howard Krushel