[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] conscription age

Ray Bloch rbloch at columbus.rr.com
Tue Jun 19 08:51:28 PDT 2007

My father remembers watching the Volksturm marching down the road to Berlin
and as they passed, the kids joked, "Da gehen die alten Affen mit die neuen
Waffen."

Loosely translated as "There go the old apes with the new weapons."  It's a
funny rhyme but the truth is that these soldiers had very little in the way
of armaments.

Later my father found out that his father had been conscripted into the
Volksturm and captured and returned to the Soviet Union.  My grandfather
fought in the Russian Army against the Turks in  WWI in the Caucuses.  He
originally was assigned to the front against the Germans but so many Russian
German soldiers were defecting that the Russian generals moved many of them
to the Turkish front.

Ray Bloch