[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Conscription into Russian Army

Dr. Willi H. Wiesner Wiesner at mcmaster.ca
Thu Jun 21 07:36:57 PDT 2007

My grandfather, Emil Wiesner, was conscripted into the Russian army about
1904 to fight for the Russians in the Russo-Japanese war.  He would have
been about 33 years old at the time.  He spent almost a year travelling
across Russia by train to Sakhalin (Sachalin) and about as long returning.
I don't know if he saw combat.

When he was conscripted again during WW I, he fled to Germany.  His family
was given instructions to sell the farm and follow him.  However, the war
ended before they had a chance to follow and the new Soviet government
offered amnesty to the deserters.  Therefore, my grandfather returned to
Volhynia, served a brief prison sentence, and then returned to his family.

Willi Wiesner