[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] conscription age

Paul Rakow rakow at ifh.de
Fri Jun 22 13:21:19 PDT 2007

  Dick,

     I know that two of my great-uncles were in the Czar's army in WWI,
 one spent the War in Vladivostok, and one on the Turkish front, so
 neither were sent to fight directly against Germany. I've always thought
 that that was rather considerate on the part of the Russian command.

     Since you are asking about which land had the GRs loyalty, I also
 have an example of loyalty to Prussia lasting a long time after emigration.
 When the Franco-Prussian War broke out in 1870, my great-grandfather
 Luis Gruenke travelled back from Liske in Volhynia to Bromberg, and
 enlisted in the Prussian army, even though his ancestors had left
 Prussia by 1820.  I confess that when I first heard from relatives
 that Luis had been in the German army in 1870 I was a little sceptical,
 I thought there might be a muddle between the Kaiser and the Czar, but
 I've confirmed this by finding records of his service in Berlin. The
 elderly aunts really do know what they're talking about.

        Paul Rakow
        rakow at ifh.de