[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Neche, ND and Gretna, MB

Jerry Frank FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca
Sat Jun 23 17:23:55 PDT 2007

At 02:00 PM 23/06/2007, Al Meyer wrote:
>I suppose quite a few members (like myself) have ancestors who
>passed through Neche, North Dakota and Gretna, Manitoba.  I was
>wondering if members would mind sharing their research experiences
>in this area, such as local churches, cemeteries, etc.
>
>Also, would anyone recommend the book "Proudly we speak : a history
>of Neche, Bathgate, Bruce and Hyde Park."
>PUBLISHER: Neche, [N.D.] : Neche/Bathgate History Book Committee,
>[1976]-1983.
>
>Thanks, Al

I can't advise much about Neche but here are some materials I used in
my research in that area:

"Gretna - Window on the Northwest", by F.G. Enns;  D.W. Friesen and
Sons, Altona - 1987

"The Rural Municipality of Rhineland 1884 - 1984", by Gerhard John
Ens (note different spelling);  Friesen Printers, Altona - 1984

Both books should be available under inter-library loan.

If you can make a personal visit:

- Go to the Municipal Office in Altona.  Ask to see their vital
statistics books.  Last time I was there (some years ago know) they
allowed me to browse through them.  This was the only way I found a
death record for my g.grandfather.  I knew his children had all come
to Canada but this was the only clue that he had come with them.  Of
course I also gleaned some birth and marriage records for his
descendants.  They also have land records here which can provide some
clues about where your ancestors were living.  I probably spent 6 or
more hours going through materials there.

- The Village Office in Gretna has some materials available including
some unpublished monographs about St. Paul's Lutheran Church as
created by Felix Kuehn.

- The County Office in Cavalier, ND has land records that are of
value.  It was here that I discovered how my ancestors, living in
Canada, purchased land in the States along the Pembina River for the
purpose of harvesting the wood from the bush that grew there.  They
may have other materials but I did not investigate them as my people
did not live in the States.

Jerry Frank - Calgary, Alberta
FranklySpeaking at shaw.ca