[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Russian Imperial Army

Royal Natzke rdnatzke at execpc.com
Mon Jun 25 18:54:24 PDT 2007

 Several years ago, I sent for records from the Russian State Military Historical Archives in  Moscow. After one year and substantial payment, I received a reply with the records written in Russian.
 My father, Edward Neumann, was 22 when he enlisted in 1904 and was discharged in 1909. His brother, Rudolph, also enlisted in1905 at age 22.They were both born in Mariendorf, near Lutsk, in Volhynia. Both were musicians and played in the military band. They were stationed for a time in Moscow in the Grandier sapper battalion of His Imperial Highness Grand duke Peter Nikolaevich. I assume that was the military guard of the czar. They graded my father with"excellent conduct, zeal toward service and firm grasp of his duties".He was promoted to "subofficer".They listed several other detachments. His brother died of "pluerisy" in 1908 while in Moscow. I have no knowledge of what was going on in the country and government at the time.
 The familiy immigrated to the US in1911. Perhaps they were aware of what was coming with WWI. My grandfather spoke of leaving to avoid sending any more  sons into the military.
 My familiy never talked about their military service before they died. I only have a picture of dad and my uncle in their militay uniforms.
The address I used to obtain the records is:
Russian State Military Historical Archive
107005, Moscow, 2nd Baumanskaia, 3
telephone (095) 261-20-70
fax (095) 267-18-66
I hope this is helpful.