[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Russian Imperial Army

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Tue Jun 26 02:24:28 PDT 2007

Royal Natzke schrieb:

>They were stationed for a time in Moscow in the Grandier sapper battalion of His Imperial Highness Grand duke Peter Nikolaevich. I assume that was the military guard of the czar.

Hello Dorothy,
Grand duke Pjotr Nikolajevich (* 10./22.1.1864, + 17.6.1931, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Duke_Peter_Nikolaevich_of_Russia )
was a grandson of Tzar Nikolaj I. and an occultist of ill fame. His
father was set under trusteeship because of his extreme financial
speculations. I don't think that his sapper (pioneer) battalion was part
of the imperial guard.

>They graded my father with"excellent conduct, zeal toward service and firm grasp of his duties".He was promoted to "subofficer".They listed several other detachments. His brother died of "pluerisy" in 1908 while in Moscow. I have no knowledge of what was going on in the country and government at the time.

I think he was brought to a military hospital in Moscow because of his
pleurosis (see
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_g2601/is_0010/ai_2601001078 )
which frequently is an acquired secondary infection caused by a pneumonia.

1904 and 1905 were catastrophic years of war and revolution for the
Russian Empire
(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russo-Japanese_War and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Revolution_of_1905 ).

Günther