[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Germans in the Russian Army

Penny Draper draperpe at msu.edu
Thu Jun 28 16:51:06 PDT 2007

Dear List Members,

My great grandfather of German descent, Julius Gotz, was a veteran of
the Russo-Japanese War, serving in 1904-5, and would have been 35 at the
time.  He was in the Czarina's regiment, according to family lore,
because of his height (over 6 feet). Julius had a farm in Michowice,
Poland, and fruit was sent from the farm by barge at night to Warsaw for
morning sale at market.  Upon discharge from the service, Julius walked
home, following the Bsur/Syr? river, a LONG walk.  I've been told that
his status as a veteran gave Julius certain advantages...for instance,
he could not easily be arrested. Julius financed his cousins' passages
to the US (my grandfather Emil, and his siblings Agusta and Gus Pekrul)
in 1910 since Emil was 21 and would have been required to serve in the
military. I believe that they left the country illegally. Evidently the
political climate led Julius to the conclusion that war...and military
service, was imminent. Eventually the entire family resettled in Lansing
Michigan.  Coincidentally, a neighboring farmer  in Lansing was Ludwig
Dier, who had been a bandmaster for the Czar's army
(two Pekrul siblings married Dier sibling neighbors in Lansing).  In
hindsight Julius was wise to leave...his son stayed in Poland and
inherited the family farm, and the WWII trials outlined below.

Julius' son Michael Gotz died in prison during WWII because he was
caught helping his Jewish neighbors escape...part of an underground
railroad effort.  Michael's son-in-law of German descent, William
Gatzke, was serving in the Polish army when WWII commenced, went home at
the defeat, and was subsequently conscripted into the German  army.
Michael's son (also Michael), was conscripted into the German army at
age 15/16 and served on the Russian front.  Michael's wife, Adelhaide
nee Hopp, almost died in a concentration camp and was nursed back to
health by one of the American soldier's who freed the camp (extra fruit,
etc)... and Michael's daughter Frieda, also served in a work camp,
though released just before Christmas in 1944.  Interestingly enough, my
father, the nephew of Adelhaide Hopp Gotz, was one of the first American
soldiers into one of the camps...though very doubtful that it was the
one where his Aunt was interned.

Surnames: Pekrul, Brokop, Gotz, Roloff, Bettke in Swinary, Michowice,
Wionczemin, Sady, Gombin (Gabin), Ilow, Stokow.
Fromholz in Stalluponen.

Sincerely,
Penny Pekrul Draper