[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] RUSSIAN MILITARY as Lived by German RussianSolders.

Richard Benert benovich at imt.net
Fri Jun 29 21:08:17 PDT 2007

  Chris,

  For a start on the POW camps, check out Wikipedia.  They have an article
on    POW camps.  #5.l lists several German camps in WW I, some of which
were for officers, in case your grandfather was one.

  The Bolsheviks are rightly blamed for a good many things, but I don't
think you should be too quick to blame them for your grandfather's
imprisonment.  The people you should blame would be the politicians and
generals all over Europe who got themselves into the First World War.   Your
grandfather was fighting in the Russian army and, like a few hundred
thousand other Russian soldiers, was captured by the Germans and sent to a
POW camp.  The Bolsheviks took over the government in October, 1917, and
quickly sought a truce with Germany.  In March,1918, they made a separate
peace with Germany.  The Bolsheviks did not send your grandfather to the
front.  Their concern was to pull the troops back from the front and end the
war.  To them, the war was a battle among competing imperialist powers, and
they wanted nothing to do with it.

  Over the past few years as I've read numerous postings from listers, it
has seemed to me that maybe one in ten families with an ancestor in the
Russian army says that that ancestor served in the Tsar's Imperial Guard and
"protected" the tsar.  My estimate may be off base, but if all these men
really were in the Imperial Guard, and Germans made up only a small part of
the army in general, that Guard must have been pretty large for an "elite"
unit, as most people (and I for a time) seem to assume it was.

  If you check out this URL:
http://modern-war.suite101.com/article.cfm/russian_imperial_guards_orbat_1917,
you will find that the Imperial Guard was very large indeed, like about
140,000 men.  Hardly an "elite" unit.  According to whoever wrote this
piece, included in the Guard were 12 infantry regiments, a brigade of
sharpshooters, palace grenadiers, artillery units, a bicycle unit, a
machine-gun unit, a railway unit, a military police unit and a marine
battalion.  The writer names quite a few of these units.   This may come as
a letdown for people who have assumed that their great-uncle was so revered
and respected that he, along with a few others so  honored, spent all his
time in St. Petersburg making like a Secret Service man making sure no one
came to close to Nicholas.

  The point, Chris, is that I'm afraid your grandfather was probably in one
of these Guard units sent to the front in 1914 or 1915.  A German prisoner
of war camp wasn't the worst place in the world for an ethnic German from
Russia.  They seem to have enjoyed some advantages.  It's just very
unfortunate that he fell victim to an epidemic.

  Dick Benert