[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Family TreeMaker headache

Gary Warner gary at warnerengineering.com
Mon May 21 11:47:35 PDT 2007

Donna,

Being able to enter a special character in a program does not
necessarily mean that the program with then correctly sort any data with
that character included.

I may be wrong, but for now, the only genealogy program I know of that
will handle the special Polish characters (I am assuming that is what
you are after) is PAF.   Even if you use PAF to enter all of your
special characters, however, if you export your data to anyone who is
not using PAF, the characters will become scrambled.    If you are
talking about the umlauts and double s in German, then most programs
will now handle that, although I am reluctant to enter them here as our
list server will strip them out to protect all of us.   Many genealogy
programs are quickly changing because of the need to appeal to users in
many languages, so I expect that in a few years you will be able to
enter those special characters in many programs and also expect that
other programs will be able to read them.

Legacy is a good program to use, and it does have a character map that
can add many characters, but it is not yet capable of entering all of
the Polish characters (a new version is in development).

If you are planning to make the change to Legacy, why wait?   You can
right now import your Family Tree Maker file into Legacy, so why
struggle with whatever problem you are now enduring?

Gary Warner
SGGEE