[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] German occupation

Irene König kopetzke at gmx.net
Tue May 29 08:35:28 PDT 2007

Gary Warner schrieb am 25.05.2007 17:12 Uhr:

> I am looking at an 1880s Latvian birth record that is in German.   There
> is an occupation that is shown as
>
> kontraktneek

Gary,

kontraktneek / kontraktnik must be a Russian word, however, I do not
find it in Pawlowsky's dictionnary (1911). Difficult to say what it was
in Latvia in 1880. Literally it means something like "someone who is
under contract".

This is what I found on the net:

-----

Контрактник (Kontraktnik) - contract soldier

CIVIL-MILITARY RELATIONS. A DICTIONARY. (English-Russian) Geneva, 2002
http://se2.dcaf.ch/serviceengine/FileContent?serviceID=DCAF&fileid=8593E081-25A9-726D-ACB4-646AD0E5BBA3&lng=en

-----

In Chechnya, mercenary soldiers were also called "kontraktniki", see
http://www.fidh.org/europ/rapport/2000pdf/fr/crimtche.pdf
page 50

-----

Furthermore, "kontraktnik" might be someone who is teaching, maybe under
fixed-term contract(?).

agent contractuel [French] - работающий по контракту, "контрактник"

http://window.edu.ru/window_catalog/files/r37402/makarovamak.pdf
page 78

-----