[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Segoria

Günther Böhm GHBoehm at ish.de
Sat Nov 3 10:59:43 PDT 2007

Howard Krushel schrieb:

>During the Great Depression, the Mennonites in Southern Manitoba drank a
>coffee substitute, made from ground and roasted cereal(barley?)which in Low
>German was known as PRIPS; would there have been a high German equivalent to
>the word Prips?

Hello Howard,
thank you for the Prips which I didn't know yet (Prips en Tweeback?).

The official name of the mentioned beverage is 'Malzkaffee' (malt
coffee) or 'Kaffee-Ersatz' (coffee substitute) but colloquially
everybody understands the word 'Muckefuck' (pronounced 'mookafook')
which is a corrupted French 'Mocca faux' (false mocha).

In modern times, you normally order 'Caro' in the restaurant (the most
prevalent brand of instant Malzkaffee). I don't like it!

Günther