[Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Names of places

Joseph Pessarra joepessarra at suddenlink.net
Sun Nov 4 16:36:00 PST 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: ger-poland-volhynia-bounces at eclipse.sggee.org
[mailto:ger-poland-volhynia-bounces at eclipse.sggee.org] On Behalf Of Howard
Krushel
Sent: Sunday, November 04, 2007 2:10 PM
To: ger-poland-volhynia at eclipse.sggee.org
Subject: Re: [Ger-Poland-Volhynia] Names of places

Rita:
In checking the Rovno map at:
http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/digkonyv/topo/200e/44-51.jpg
you will find Stepan on the Horyn river; if you follow the river down to
where it makes a big loop you will see Derazno/Deraschno which I would think
would be the larger center of "Drajna" which you looking for; Osowa is
located a bit west of Stepan; it would be pronounced as Osoff with the last
syllable being dropped, as was often case when a German pronounced a Slavic
village name; although there is an Osow straight north of Stepan but it is a
considerable distance away and probably not the one you are looking for;
just south of Mydzk(Mick) is the village of Stydynie which I would think
would be where they obtained their mail; dropping the "ie" and changing the
spelling more to an english spelling, it would look like Stidin or perhaps
Stydin.
In regard to Kievritz, I was wondering if this might be reference to the
town of Kremenez way south west of Rovno near the southern border of
Volhynia; could she have taken a train which ran across the border at Brody
in Austria and traveled to Lodz or a different camp, using that route?
Howard Krushel